Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Leaving Dubai and Returning to America

Yes, I know its been a really, REALLY long time since I've written anything on here.  I think that I have good excuses, but you might disagree, so I won't elaborate.

I'm back from Dubai.  I've been away from the Middle East, the desert, my friends, my school, and everything that has excited me since my arrival in January for 10 days.  

In Dubai, I was never bored, lonely, or homesick.  I embraced every day and opportunity with full knowledge of the blessing that my scholarship was.  I only really found myself in a foul mood when some decision I made left me obligated to do something that wasted too much time or money.  And, as earlier posts indicated, a few of my classes at AUD represented such wastes of time, but I never wanted to completely blow them off for fear of showing AUD, which made all of this possible, a lack of gratitude.

I made the most of my time in Dubai by travelling, recognizing the value of the friendships I made, giving back enough to keep my conscience clean (volunteering and tipping liberally) while I essentially lived off the charity of my scholarship, and not slacking too, too much in my classes while still giving myself more free time than I've ever had in the states.  I also did my best to not overspend and kept up with my life back home.  I lived in the moment, and my time abroad marked the best time of my life so far.  I think that I approached studying abroad the right way, but I also recognize that a lifestyle like the one I had in Dubai can never be permanent, except maybe with oodles of money, but then it would lack some of the genuineness of this first trip. 

I got everything checked off of that bucket list, plus additional awesome things...like tubing with the towers of Dubai Marina in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Your Author

My photo
Troy, AL, United States
I am a Political Science student at Troy University in southeastern Alabama. I have been given fantastic opportunities to travel to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, among other brief trips, to study and glimpse other cultures. I believe there is much to be learned about other people while studying, and I want to share my experiences with you.